...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Diet Savvy - The Mayo Clinic Diet Sucks

If you're like me, you have reason to be concerned about your weight.  I decided to read up on as many diets as possible to see where these diets fail and where they work.  I can' help but notice that there is an inherent prejudice toward dieters.  We are fat because of specific reasons, according to the Mayo Clinic diet.  And if you don't fit those reasons, I'm wondering if you can actually be helped by this diet.  I got totally stuck at the opening quiz because I could not answer that ANY of these were my problem:
What is the biggest weight-loss obstacle you face right now?
  • I don't like many fruits and vegetables.
  • I can't seem to find time to cook healthy meals.
  • I have trouble controlling my portions.
  • I eat when I'm stressed, in a bad mood or bored.
I have multiple injuries and am hypothyroid. This makes it difficult to lose weight.  I like fruits & vegetables.  I do cook healthy meals.  I have no problem with controlling my portions.  And I don't necessarily eat more when I am stressed, bored, or in a bad mood.  This is a bad structure to a diet to already start with these assumptions.

Can you see the inherent prejudice in these selections?  The Mayo Clinic is a doctor-run diet. So they must be right, right?  No!  Doctors screw up on a daily basis!  They are some of the fattest and unhealthiest people on the planet.  I say this after having worked in a hospital for awhile a few years ago.

After clicking through the windows and finally getting to the point where they entice you to get started on their diet, they then want you to get cracking by paying $4 per week.  NO THANKS!  If you want to know more about the Mayo Clinic Diet, I suggest you buy the book from Amazon before committing to an online program.  A little revision - I went to a bookstore on Sunday with the Hubs and paged through the actual book.  It's quite good and talks about moderation and potential places where diets get hung up - and there are many more than just those 4 on their online quiz.  I guess they figured out the most popular ones and stuck with them.  In any case.  Stick with the book.  You can get it for cheap.

Here is a link to the book which has a preview.  Read what others have to say about it.


 

I haven't been getting many responses from people lately.  I am wondering if I should take my weight loss interests to a different blog where they might find better focus, or if I should stick with dieting as a part of spiritual growth.  The truth is, I don't really know right now if I will keep this here or go somewhere else.
 
Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment! Commenting is now open to everyone! (Write to me for advice! SavvySingleChristian@yahoo.com)

2 comments:

Paul S said...

I'd have been stuck on the opening quiz because I could honestly answer yes to all four weight loss obstacles.
I do agree though, assumptions are not helpful.

SavvyD said...

I stared at that for quite some time and then decided to write a blog post about this.

There was another question about how often you sit in front of the TV with a snack. When I sit in front of the TV with a snack, I've usually counted exactly how many calories I have left to eat in the day and know whether or not I can eat what I intended. And sometimes that snack is an apple or some fruits. So grr!