...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Book Review: Diary of a Country Priest

Hey friends, I thought I'd try something new and review a book I found particularly moving in suprising ways.  I know what you're thinking if you're a Protestant...  Why read a book about a priest?  Well, it's not like that. I think, if you let yourself, you'll see that we have far more in common in regard to faith between Catholic and Protestant than some church leaders might lead you to believe.  My review:
I thought I wasn't very involved, but still found myself getting choked up at the ending, and I'm tearing up a little thinking about it now. The book focuses on the internal dialogue the Priest has with himself about his parishioners, his Lord, and his health. Like so many modern people, he ignores his failing health. Though he wasn't perfect, he certainly had his heart in the right place. And, like so many of us experience, the people around him failed to appreciate him.

What is God's plan for us? And do any of us see our place accurately? The young priest certainly didn't. I'm going to be thinking about this for awhile and the words of St. Therese, that we should not be discouraged if we do not bear fruit. We should still offer this as a sacrifice to God.

I think I get something different from the Priest's idea that grace is everywhere. I don't know that he thought it through to his parishioners, but he did certainly apply it to his friend not being able to get a priest to give him last rights. The friend he was visiting at the end had left the priesthood. Or maybe he had thought it all the way through. He is something of an unreliable narrator, downplaying his illness at least. Maybe he wasn't as friendless as he thought.

Definitely a worthy read.  I give it 5 stars out of 5.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment! Commenting is now open to everyone! (Write to me for advice! SavvySingleChristian@yahoo.com)

No comments: