I get hits from all over the world, and I'm not sure how other countries are about this. In the US, there is a move toward lower wattage lighting in the last few years. But it also meant buying fluorescent lights with mercury in them. While I'm a big fan of saving on the electric bill, I did not like this move toward even low levels of a poisonous element.
I recently broke an old mercury (quicksilver) thermometer in my bedroom when I was ill. I did experience some of the effects of mercury poisoning, such as vivid nightmares and itching. When I was a child, we would play with liquid mercury when a thermometer broke. I have to say it was fun, but the liquid also changes to gaseous form which enters the body through the respiratory tract.
Many people do not know how to dispose of the mercury fluorescent lights properly, and end up throwing them in the recycling where they will be broken. That's what they have been doing with their light bulbs. Some people don't even recycle, they just throw everything in the trash. I'm happy to report that several companies have adapted halogen lights to light bulbs. I'm going to use those instead of the florescent. LED lights are also an option, however they come at twice the price. I hope you'll join me in a mercury-free lighted world. As a bonus, the colors are better.
I think it's important to be savvy to the things of this world, and not just the spiritual plane. But if it makes you feel better, I'll tell you to buy halogen light bulbs because I think Jesus wants you to. When the Lord said "Let there be light," he certainly didn't mean for it to have mercury in the bulb. And please take your old mercury bulbs to Home Depot or Lowe's since they offer free recycling.
Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment! Commenting is now open to everyone! (Write to me for advice! SavvySingleChristian@yahoo.com)