...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Internet fraud hits a new low - music lesson fraud

One of the things I can do for work is teach music lessons. I have not been able to sustain a studio because I didn't have a place to teach lessons. I now have a place.

It started out normally enough. I got an email from a woman named Rose Magreth who wanted me to teach her daughter a series of lessons while she visited the US and then joined her in Frankfurt. She wanted to know what I could teach, how often, and seemed to be satisfied. It seemed OK.

And then it got weird.
She wanted to send a check to me for the full amount. In advance. No one ever does that. She then said she would include some extra money for me if I would just forward some to her agent in the US. Alarm bells went off.

I never thought that I would ever fall for an internet scam. I usually delete those lottery ones. They are becoming more sophisticated.

In the meantime, I reported the attempted fraud to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If something like this happens to you, please contact them at: http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx

If someone uses the mail to send you a fraudulent check (product, etc.) you can also report it to the Better Business Bureau, and even the U.S. Postal Inspection Service https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ whose mission it is to investigate and prosecute mail-related crimes.

As it turns out, this scam is out there hitting music teachers everywhere. I'm hoping that since I actually fell for it at first, that the FBI can use me to sting the people here who are engaged in this. I'll let you know.

And by the way, I don't think she is in Frankfurt. I think she's actually in Nigeria. I don't know how much they can do to her there. I also think both of these are Rose Magreth on Facebook. Looks like the same person, but with different makeup. Punky Rose imma git you!

www.facebook.com/rmndunguru
www.facebook.com/punky.rose1

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment! (Thanks also for lurking. I don't allow anonymous comments. SavvySingleChristian@yahoo.com)

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! That's new one. Thanks for spreading the word.

Patch said...

Oh those Nigerians...

And do you know what a ruckus they make if any movie is made showing them as criminals?

OI said...

It's a good thing you caught this in time.

Sad for those who might not have realized this is a scam.

SavvyD said...

Patch - well, there's money in lawsuits, right?

I do feel bad for the people who don't realize it's a scam. At some point I'm going to just tell her the check bounced. Her daughter is supposed to be coming on the 21st. YEAH RIGHT!!

Well, I wasn't particularly targeting Nigerians. I had a lovely Christian blogger friend from Nigeria - Tairebabs - and we enjoyed reading each others thoughts for two years or so and then she decided it was time to move on.

jeannytrew said...

I got an email from this person, too. If you google her, it looks she is posting in London, also.

thanks for sharing.

concertmaster said...

incredibly enough, some 6 months after your own experience with Rose Magreth, and after you reported her to authorities, I just got the same e-mail from her today, May 22, 2012. Before doing anything about her e-mail, I googled her name and thus happened upon this here blog with your story. Why haven't the authorities done something already? She hasn't even bothered to change her name, apparently, still defrauding musicians under her Rose Magreth identity. Obviously she isn't too afraid of being recognized as a fraud by you and others. It's hard to believe that she hasn't been caught already, but, no - she hasn't been. She just wrote to me today, and probably to countless others, who, unlike me, might not bother to check her out on Google first. Very alarming....

Anonymous said...

I received this exact e-mail today! I've received a couple like this, but thankfully most of these go into my spam box and so when they do I'm already sketched out and suspecious. Thanks for making this post, I too googled the e-mail address and came upon your blog!

SavvyD said...

Glad I could be helpful. :)