...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Health Concerns - living life unsalted

Hey everyone,
I don't know how you feel about doctors, but lately my opinion has changed. Basically, I don't want to see a doctor unless I'm dying. I sincerely believe that we need less doctoring and more prevention.

Why? Well, I have suspected for quite some time that I had a hypothyroid problem. I had six or more of the major symptoms -
  1. Tiredness
  2. Water retention
  3. Hair loss
  4. Weight gain
  5. Cold hands and feet
  6. Puffy face, hands, and feet
  7. Hoarseness
  8. Heavy periods
  9. Constipation
  10. Dry skin
Lately I've been watching that Doctor Oz show, which is actually very good. He explains things thoroughly. And he said of hypothyroidism that sometimes symptoms trump blood tests. This was the first I had heard this.

Let me tell you, the response of most doctors is not "Let's put you on thyroid medication."  The response I have experienced is, "It sounds like your depressed.  Here take these antidepressants."  Antidepressants are recommended for a wide variety of symptoms.  The problem is that they do not fix the thyroid problem and they cause more problems. Sometimes they cause more weight gain, more hair loss, and even dryer skin.

I would think of it as an anomaly if I had only had trouble with one doctor, but it's been three doctors.  Why antidepressants?  Doctors most likely don't get kickbacks for thyroid meds.  Thyroid meds aren't glamorous.  But anti-depressants get many research dollars behind them and tend to be considered to be more glamorous.

The attitude continues.  Yes, water retention is a symptom of hypothyroidism, but it can also be due to a salt sensitivity.  I have decided to attack with both things.  I am taking thyroid medication which is available over the counter.  Bovine thyroid just isn't considered to be real medicine.  Well, more power to me.  I really don't care if the medical profession thinks it's not real medicine.  It seems to be helping.

I have decided to dedicate myself to living as salt-free as possible.  I was given blood pressure medication for water retention.  I am already taking half.  And I plan to go off of it completely.  I don't have high blood pressure.  In fact, it's low.  I think it's time that we take medicine into our own hands.  I'm very tired of being given drugs I don't need.

I was thinking about starting a salt-free blog, but lately I've been having a hard time keeping up with everything.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment! (Thanks also for lurking. I don't allow anonymous comments. SavvySingleChristian@yahoo.com)

2 comments:

OI said...

I'm with you about prescriptions.

My mom would be with you on it too. Her doctor told her that she had high blood pressure. He was going to prescribe medication to help her lower it, but instead, she decided to change her diet.

And it worked. It took about a year to be at the point that her doctor was satisfied, but it still worked.

And as far as doctor oz goes, I just wrote a post about him as well on my blog. He's good. I don't get to watch him much these days, but whenever I have been able to catch him, he's said something to me that could help me now or at least in the future.

Have a great salt free evening.

:)

Sophia Grace said...

Take bovine thyroid to keep your thyroid healthy and to help you stir away from thyroid related ailments