...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Single for the Holidays

I just rode with my uncle for about an hour after visiting my cousins. It was an interesting conversation.

Someone asked me to write about being single for the holidays and initially I thought I was fine with it. But, truthfully, I’m not. Not anymore. I am incredibly lonely. Crushes on pop stars fill the void when you are 12, but not so much when you are older.

I did what I have done most years. I spent it with my family. My older brother has been married or in a relationship with his wife for many years. Naturally, I thought I would be next. Another of my cousins has been married or involved with her boyfriend for 10 years. Another cousin got married 2 years ago. My youngest cousin has a boyfriend. And then there’s me.

I have not usually had a boyfriend for the holidays. When I did about 2 years ago, no one liked him. I’m sort of used to this, or I should be by now. No one asked me this year if I am seeing anyone. They can pretty much guess I am not because I hardly ever do.

It’s really getting to me lately that there is never anyone who is worth having. My uncle said none of the guys he has met that I was dating have been worth anything. Great.


He told me, “Forget about men. They’re all jerks. There are trainable jerks, but all have the potential of being jerks, even me.” I agreed with him. I know his track record for having hurt my aunt and my cousins. I will spare the details.


There have been other things which the Lord answered my feverish prayers, but never in this department. I sincerely believed in my teens that I would marry a wonderful man and that our love would be a great testimony to my dysfunctional family and they would all be saved.
I’m not Baptist anymore, though.

“Try online. That’s what your cousin did.” Yes. I know. “That’s how I’ve met some of these jerks I was telling you about.”

“I went to college in the 1960s and it was the sexual revolution then. I would do things with girls on the first date. I was a real jerk. But then, sometimes it was shocking that I wouldn’t even ask. One girl I had just kissed her on the couch and she stood up and said she didn’t want to get her clothes wrinkled, so she just took them off right in front of me. Many times I was the one being seduced.”


“I’m sure. But it’s been a long time since I have been with anyone and I just think it should be more special than that.”

“Well, if that’s not what you want, then you’ll just have to move on and toss them aside as not good enough. But really, forget about men. Just find what you really want to do and do it.”

I guess that’s all that is left. Me. It doesn’t look like there will be a happy ending for me when it comes to love, marriage and children. I know it’s a pain. I know it’s not a rose garden to be married.

But then, maybe it is. Those who say God never promised you a rose garden clearly never gardened. Rose gardens have bugs, thorns, and fungi. They have to be pruned, fed, and watered. They have to be planted in the right spot and in the right soil.


Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment!

2 comments:

EuropeanCatholic said...

Thanks as always for your insights.

I also spent Christmas with my family. Strangely, being single hits me big time on New Years Eve.

I guess it is the prospect of another year starting with no one special and realising that time is very much marching on now. I will be 33 soon which terrifies me. Plus, all my friends are telling me (in no way gloating, just telling me whats going on in their lives) how good it will be to see in the New Year with their young family and or husband/wife.

I will have the TV as usual for company at midnight.

My melancholy this year also contrasts with my hope at this time last year when I thought at last I was in a relationship. She broke up with me at the end of January 2010 sadly. I wrote about that in another post. I was so happy to spend time with her and thought we were good together.

Since then, I have asked out 2 people who have said no and emailed another friend to see how things are with her and no reply. At least, it is good for your humility if you keep being rejected. There's not much danger of thinking too highly of yourself!

Online dating is no good, I agree.

Like you, I can think of other areas where God has answered my prayers. But in this area, He seems to be silent.

There is also the problem of a diminishing pool of people. I can't think of the last single woman I met.

And I know I would be a good husband and father. I do long for marriage.

Maybe in 2011 . . . .

SavvyD said...

Hey Euro Catholic--

You should have been out with friends on New Years Eve. No wonder you were depressed.

I will be posting a few more thoughts about being single...(hahaha)