...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"You'll make a cute wife!"

I went looking for engagement rings. Not that I'm engaged, it's just that I wanted to feel what it would be like to look at engagement rings and have everyone asking me about my man and how we met and when the wedding is and what I look forward to on my special day...

It was great for awhile. After looking at several rings...

Savvy: You know I've been watching that Bridezilla show and I just don't understand how these women act like that and have such nice boyfriends.
Seller: Back in my day it certainly wasn't like that.
Savvy: I'm sure it wasn't.
Seller: My husband and I got married 46 years ago and I just got a small ring. Over the years I've gotten bigger rings from him. This is my 5th ring.
Savvy: I would do that. I would marry him with just some little tiny ring and have the ceremony at the courthouse. I don't care about all that other stuff. I just care about being with the right person.
Seller: That's the right kind of attitude, but if you can afford it, you might as well get a really nice ring.
Savvy: That's also true.
Seller: You'll make a cute wife.
Savvy: Aww. thanks!
Seller: The ones who smile and laugh alot always make things easier.

I thanked her so much for her time. And then started to tear up a little as I walked out the door. And then sat on a bench and cried my eyes out for 5 minutes. Someone thinks I would be a cute wife. But it's never any of the guys.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment!

12 comments:

Joyful said...

I totally understand what you are feeling. I've had almost the same comments made to me.

SavvyD said...

I'm glad I'm not alone. So many times I feel like I am. When I talk this way at church people often pretend like everything is fine. It's not fine anymore. My blig used to be funny. I used to be amused by how bad my dates were. Not anymore.

McCaffery said...

(((((((Savvy))))))) (cyber hug for you) I am sorry you are feeling so down. I hope that you find a nice mate in the end of all these struggles. I find your blog very interesting, even if I am out of the dating game myself. Keep writing, I will keep reading.

Jenny said...

Girl, I totally sympathize with you on this one. If a man compliments my looks or "wife" skills, he's always too old and/or unavailable. Obviously, I was born three decades too late. :sigh:

SavvyD said...

@Jenny it always seems that way.
@McCaffery, thanks for reading. :)

Tabs A. Geek said...

I felt like this for the longest time too. I can't count the number of times I cried myself to sleep because it hurt so much.

I was watching everyone I knew my age getting into relationships, getting engaged, married, starting families... and it killed. It killed that I couldn't even get a second glance from a guy. That all these girls who were terrible people were finding love while I was still alone.

It's not easy, and we've all been there. But whatever you do, don't lose hope; because hope is that one thing that will eventually lead you to someone. (Well, hope and God of course).

My sister is getting engaged soon, and I've found myself incredibly jealous. It still hurts, especially when its my baby sister getting married before I'm even in a serious relationship.

EuropeanCatholic said...

@savvyD This blog helps me not feel alone, especially on a Saturday which I find the most difficult day of the week being single.

@Jenny. The women I meet are all married or "in a relationship". I genuinely have no doubt if I was born 3 decades ago, I would be married.

@tabs a geek. I;ve also found myself getting jealous especially over friends who live as if God did not exist and yet marry and have children. I pray that the Lord forgives me and has mercy on me for this attitude.

Jenny said...

EuropeanCatholic: You may have misunderstood my comment. I meant that, since the only men who compliment me are old, I might have had better luck finding a husband if I were their age. I was born three decades ago. I think that I would've been married in my 20s if I'd been born six decades ago instead.

SavvyD said...

@Jenny for older men, the stakes are generally lower. They know what they want, and many don't seem to mind playing around on the side. I've had some bad experiences with dirty old men.

Jenny said...

SavvyD: Same here! In fact, I just had one earlier this week. I met a guy at a friend's party and thought he was 10 years older when he was actually 20! On our date, he had the nerve to tell me that I needed to gain weight!

SavvyD said...

@Jenny hahahaha!! Really??? He said you should gain weight? Did you say, "Marry me and I will. Oh, wait, I wouldn't want to marry a completely insensitive lout like you!"

Jenny said...

Actually, I was too stunned to think of a snappy comeback. I think I made it clear that I didn't appreciate the comment, but he's not very observant. Maybe I would've been more forgiving with someone my own age.