...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Reflections on Covenants

The substitute pastor said that marriage and a relationship with God are covenants. In a covenant, you give all of yourself. He contrasted that with a contract and said that they are different. A covenant is meant to last forever, or for life in a human relationship. Contracts, well those are for business.

From my perspective, I don't see people even treating marriage as a contract. In a contract, you at least meet an obligation. Many marriages fail because people cease to satisfy each others' expectations. People fail even minor social contracts--witness how many people park rudely at church, or say...Biola campus. I had my car scratched up at Biola and didn't even get a note..."Sorry I dinged your car. Jesus loves you!! Please forgive me. :)"

Not only that, I sort of expect the pastor, to have dealt with his phone before walking to the pulpit. I certainly don't have a phone in my pocket whenever I perform. At some point midsermon he apologized, took out his phone, and meaningful seconds ticked away while he figured out how to silence the thing.

Seriously. I'd like the world to start with the little things.

I love comments!

No comments: