...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Monday, December 7, 2009

How To Send a Phone Number to a Guy (While On a Date With Another)

Yes, another night, another blind date. Stranger things have happened. As I walked to the restaurant, I figured we'd have a drink and I would stop at Sansai or the yummy NYC style pizza place. When I arrived, the guy was clearly a little nervous. He said he hadn't eaten dinner and invited me to dine with him rather than just have a drink. I did my best to put him at ease. Really, the only thing I want to talk about these days is music, so I did.

Savvy: I'm really into a band called Echo and the Bunnymen. They were really big in LA. I guess in Michigan maybe not so much.
Blind: No I think I've heard of them. What songs have they done?
Savvy: The Killing Moon...eveyone's covered it or so it seems.
Blind: Doesn't ring any bells.
Savvy: Bring on the Dancing Horses...People are Strange--they covered that.
Blind: No. Can't think of anything.
Savvy: You'd know them if you saw them. The lead singer has hair like a peacock...trenchcoat...prescription Ray Bans because he was blind as a bat... (crickets chirp) So...what do you like?


Let's see, he's from Michigan, so it was the expected parade of Classic Rock. Now listen, I like Classic Rock more than most people, it's just not what I'm into right now. In the meantime, a man wearing glasses and a nice sportcoat sat down in the bar area. He was attractive. Back to classic rock...

Savvy: You like yes? That's awesome. The lead singer has an amazing voice.
BlindL: He really does. Jon Anderson.
Savvy: I like Led Zeppelin, too. I just feel guilty sometimes when I listen to some of the songs.
Blind: really? I don't.
Savvy: Well, Jimmy Page is really into that satan guy, Aliester Crowley and then some of their songs are really naughty.
Blind: Yes that's true.


I was thinking specifically about the song where the lyrics say "Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg. Squeeze my lemon till I fall right out of bed" or something like that.

Meanwhile, the Glasses guy was seated at the table right near mine. Our eyes met and I looked away. I'm on a date, right?

And then there were topics like how he was Catholic, how I don't feel like I've really had communion at church because I go to a Protestant church right now and they use grape juice. It doesn't feel holy. Then he started telling me about all the dating services he was using.

Savvy: So, do you think it's that people are too picky?
Blind: Yes, I've definitely seen that.
Savvy: I've just decided that I'm going to enjoy my life with my friends and not worry about it anymore.
Blind: Have you ever been engaged before?
Savvy: Yes.
Blind: Really? Was that a good experience?
Savvy: Some of it was good, some of it wasn't. I really don't like to talk about my past relationships.


Some of the date went OK. I didn't really get a interested vibe from him. I wanted to be interested, but I wasn't. However, Glasses did turn around and look at me and raised his eyebrows as he looked away. I didn't know what that meant but thought it might be good. Meanwhile I was on this blind date.

Blind: So did you park far?
Savvy: No, not too far.
Blind: Would you like for me to walk you to your car?
Savvy: I don't know. Ummm...I guess.


Really, I was thinking if he walked me out then I wouldn't have a chance to do anything about Glasses. But I relented.

Dessert came and went. I spilled something on myself which I went to the bathroom to clean up. When he said he needed to use the restroom, I knew exactly what to do. I walked up to the hostess and asked for a card. I wrote down my name, phone number and, "I like your glasses." I couldn't think of anything else.

Savvy: So, I'm on this blind date and I know it's over, but...
Hostess: Yes?
Savvy: Well, there's this guy who I find attractive at the next table.
Hostess: Oh really? Which one?
Savvy: The one with the glasses at that table right there.
Hostess: Are you going to give him that card?
Savvy: well, even though the date is basically over, I want to be respectful and I was wondering if you would help me out with giving him the card.
Hostess: Oh! Yes, I can do that. Do you want me to do that now?
Savvy: No, if you could wait until I leave, that would be really great.
Hostess: OK, sure. No problem.


I went back to the table to gather my things and speak to my date.

Savvy: I just wanted to get one of their cards. I really liked this place.
Blind: Sounds like a great idea.


I looked at Glasses on the way out but he didn't look up. Shoot!

On the way home I called the restaurant.

Savvy: Hi, I was calling to talk to the hostess there...
Host: Oh, OK, I'll get her.
Savvy: Thanks.
Host2: Hello, thank you for calling, how can I help you?
Savvy: I was waiting to talk to the hostess...I asked her to do something for me...
Host2: She's right here.
Savvy: Awesome...so...what happened?
Hostess: Well, I gave him the card and he seemed really flattered.
Savvy: Really? that's awesome. Just so you know, my date ended with a handshake.
Hostess: Do you want me to tell him something?
Savvy: Well, I guess you could tell him I called and see what he thinks of that. Only don't tell him that I said to say that. Oh I don't know. I guess we should just let the card speak for itself. As long as he knows that it's a blind date and I wanted to be respectful.
Hostess: Sure thing.
Savvy: Have you ever had anyone do something like this?
Hostess: No, never actually. This is a first.
Savvy: Seriously? I didn't know what to do. That's cool. A first. Well, it was a first for me, too. I mean, if he calls, great and if he doesn't, I guess that's OK too.
Hostess: Well, I hope he calls.
Savvy: Thanks. I'll let you know if anything happens.


I imagine he and his friend had a good laugh over my card. Part of me was thinking that he might be gay since men don't often split a bottle of wine over dinner. Part of me was enjoying being the mysterious woman at the table next to his. Maybe I made the man smile. Maybe tonight, he'll look at himself in the mirror and think what a handsome guy he is in those glasses.

The guy did not call. If he doesn't have a girlfriend, his loss.

I love comments!

13 comments:

Ayako said...

great story.
I think I wouldn't have had the courage to give the card to the other one. even if there was a helper like the hostess.
go for it !

and I totally agree, if he doesn't phone you - then he's not worth it. he doesn't deserve you then :)

Princess T said...

Haha that's a great story!

Incidentally, being on a date will not prevent a guy from hitting on you.

I was on a date once, in a bar with private booths, and my date and I were in one such booth. And the second (I literally mean the second) my date got up to use the restroom, some other guy from the booth next to ours came tumbling through the sliding "window" that separated our booths! I mean SERIOUSLY! And he was all 'hi, how's it going, having a good time?' and I was like 'well i WAS... I'm here with someone... could you please leave...' It was very awkward because my date came back just as this guy was leaving the booth. I swear, I thought a fight was going to break out! It was awesome!!! I might have given tumbling guy my number if the date had not been going so well, but I was so into the guy I was with I hardly remember what tumbling guy looked like...

Anyway, good luck with glasses guy! I hope he calls!

SavvyD said...

Well, that's the thing, Princess, he already didn't call, so it was time to move on a week ago. Oh well.

Professor Hale said...

Savvy, you are such a tease. You are out with one guy and moving on another.

Not to mention the bad signal you send by throwing yourself at glasses like that. And really. If he can't afford Lasic, do you really want him?

Christian Dude said...

I thought it was really cool how you waited until the *end* of date and then *discreetly* gave the hostess the card to give to the glasses guy. That shows a lot of class :)

SavvyD said...

Prof Hale--let me teach you thing or two:

I sent a card to a man I found attractive through a hostess. That's not exactly throwing myself at anyone.

I was on a blind date with a man I knew wasn't interested in me. How exactly was I a "tease" when that involves an offer of something and then withholding.

PS Glasses are hot.

SavvyD said...

PS I went back and used the restroom while I was walking to a concert downtown. The hostess was very curious about the outcome and disappointed to discover that he never called.

eitgc said...

Wonderful story.

Maybe Glasses hasn't called yet, but at least you took a chance doing what you did. That's a LOT more than what most people would do in that situation.

Professor Hale said...

It is possible the hostess sabotaged you by not delivering the message.

SavvyD said...

Hale--I don't think so. I went back and she was very interested to know what happened. If she hadn't handed the card to him, she would have acted fishy or something.

It's possible that he thought I was cute but has a girlfriend. But really, this story was about me. So it doesn't really matter.

ClarenceComments said...

Darn, and I was voting for you.

You are probably right, he has a girlfriend. Or is terminally shy. But at least you tried.

Professor Hale said...

or gay.

SavvyD said...

You know how you know someone just isn't interested in you...this was that guy to be sure. I think Tannen thinks I was being dismissive because we had nothing in common really. Plus I could tell there was zero attraction. Makes it a difficult situation to overcome.