...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dude! Chick it out! (How women use "dude" in conversation)

For some strange reason, academics cannot fathom why a woman would say dude to another woman. Not only that, they question why a well educated woman, such as myself, who has a masters degree would endeavor to use such language. Well, dude, check it out!

Being a chill dudette from Cali, I can attest that “dude” has greater shades of meaning than just way for two young men to address each other. I'm the girl who was nicknamed “Dude” because I would say “Dude, what's up?” when a friend called me. It morphed into her saying just “Duuuude” when she called me. I instantly knew it was her. Another friend, asked, “Dude, howcome you say dude so much?” I answered, “Dude, I don't know.” All of this makes me an self-professed expert on uses of the word, “Dude.”

Let's look at a fictitious conversation:

Person#1: Dude! Where's my car?
Person#2: Dude! I don't know!
Person#3: Duuuuude.

By using an exclaimation point, “dude” becomes a word which signals others to pay attention—an interjection. Person #3 takes “dude” to a whole new level by extending it over the u. Person #3 expresses sympathy, dismay or surprise at the events which have transpired. Confused?

A chill dudette like me can't comprehend the confusion when Dictionary.com spells it out so nicely for the last word that shared a cross-gender expression; man.
Slang. a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Hey, man, take it easy.
–interjection
Slang. an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Man, what a ball game!


Man! How could you forget? This was seen frequently in popular film and television. Perhaps the very people who are confused by a chick saying, “Dude” often used “Man” in their day without regard for the address going to a man or a woman.

Let's change Dictionary.com to include these very real meanings of Dude:
Slang. a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Dude, chill.
–interjection . an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Dude! Where's my car? Or just: Dude! Also: Duuuuuuuude! Or even: Duhuhude!


In case interjections confuse you, here is an updated Schoolhouse Rock explanation:

So when you're happy (Hurray!) (Dude!)
or sad (Aw!) (Dude!)
Or frightened (Eeeeeek!) (Dude!)
or mad (Rats!) (Dude!)
Or excited (Wow!) (Dude!)
or glad (Hey!) (Dude!)
An interjection starts a sentence right.

By now it should be clear that many uses of the word “dude” are acceptable coming from a woman.

Dude, my work is done.

Dude! I love comments!

2 comments:

Kitty Moore said...

Happy New Year (Dude)!

Kitty

SavvyD said...

Dude!!!!
Thanks! You too!