...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wired on Vacation

A vacation used to mean getting away from it all. But somehow, it really isn't anymore. We bring our wires with us whereever we go so that we are never truly where we are. After all, I'm writing this to you from Palm Springs on my netbook.

We all used to get so angry with our uncle who had to be conscious of where the payphone was because he had to make a phone call for a business deal. Now there are cell phones for that. And we have to bring cell phone chargers. We all have to step away from the family so that we can take or make a phone call.

A computer used to be too big to take with you, and laptops were too expensive. Now I can type from my $300 netbook while sitting at the hotel which has internet service throughout the area for no extra charge. This time my dad even brought a printer with him for a week's stay in the desert. A printer? Even that's going a bit too far for me.

We don't just listen to the crickets, talk and have a nice dinner on the porch. We don't play cards or games or talk. We have to have the computer, cell phone, television and camera there. Because it's not how much fun you had, it's how much fun you can make it look like on Facebook later...

And yes, I'm guilty, too.

I love comments!

4 comments:

novaseeker said...

It's a part of life. Remember, while it has its interferences, it also has its good sides: it gives people more flexibility as to where they want to be at any given time. Previously, people needed to be tied to their desks much more than they do now. The tradeoff for that is that people now are more or less always working, at least a little bit. The boundaries have been eroded, for sure, but that has good and bad sides.

r. k. said...

for a controversial and volatile read, please consider the newly released true novel by christian author r.k. rytaran. the book is entitled Euclid Avenue, Our scars mean something. the press release can be seen at eloquentbooks.com/euclidavenue.html. the book is also available at barnes & noble, books & co, books-a-million, borders, select hallmark book stores and amazon.com

SavvyD said...

Sounds like our typical urban/suburban alienation issues. I quote the great Clash:

Im all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality

Im all tuned in, I see all the programmes
I save coupons from packets of tea
Ive got my giant hit discoteque album
I empty a bottle and I feel a bit free

The kids in the halls and the pipes in the walls
Make me noises for company
Long distance callers make long distance calls
And the silence makes me lonely

SavvyD said...

RK--There is another line "I wasn't born so much as I fell out. No one ever seemed to notice me." Sounds like your main character.