...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Seattle Haunts Me

I was supposed to go the the University of Washington (in Seattle) to study with a real talent in my field. I had a scholarship and would have added a graduate assistantship to that at some point. The catch was, getting a second master's degree because I hadn't gotten enough of the background I needed. I wanted to give New York and singing opera a try. I didn't know anyone in Seattle and I didn't want to be so far from home and single. I chickened out. Let's just say if I had seen all the signs pointing to Seattle the way I do now, I might have gone for it...

I picked up a Smithsonian magazine that was buried under other magazines. I started paging through it and saw pictures of Narwhals--those whales that have a unicorn horn. As I turned a page and looked:
Savvy: Oh my Gosh, my finger just ended up on Seattle in this article.
Kristi: It's a sign.
Savvy: I just put my hand down and my finger was there.
Kristi: I'm telling you its a sign that you should go up there.
Savvy: Um, well, we'll see. It's kind of strange.


I was at church thing looking around at everyone there and then wondered if there would be anyone that would make me feel anything he did--half as much even. If there would be anyone that I shared some odd things in common...I looked up at the TV and there was a commercial for Mike's Hard Lemonade set in Seattle, WA. Huh? At the exact moment?

I've watched TV a couple of times and seen references to Seattle. New York can be hard to escape mention of. But Seattle? I sat down at the gym to work out--usually I use the bike that is in front of a TV set to CNN. I used a different kind of bike this time and watched Grey's Anatomy which is set in, yep, Seattle. Some guy was interviewed about mortgage scams, where does he live? Yep, suburban Seattle. And (on the same show) now there is a big hoo-ha about Starbucks launching a new unStarbucks branding (15th Ave Coffee and Tea) for their new stores in...Seattle. I paged through a book for additional information about the author and landed on a page that mentioned...Seattle. Having had enough, I about dropped it.

A husband and wife were talking behind me at the mall:
She: Just don't really want to go to those places.
He: I want to go to Montreal and you don't want to go. Same thing with Seattle.
Sav: I'll go to Seattle. There's a guy up there I like.
She: I want to go to San Francisco. It's closer.
Sav: So you can take me to Seattle.


And then I tried to push it out of my mind. Again.

Seattle is making a home for himself and has found a lovely apartment with a great view of a lake and the Cascades. He started his new job.

Why did I say anything to him?

Because I hoped. Because I am still a hopeless romantic. Because if he felt half of what I did, it would be a great relationship. Because I made the insane leap of thinking if other guys want me that this guy might too. But I think I am dealing with the rare species of man who is the exact opposite of the player. There is no room in his life for a casual relationship and he hasn't made the room to get to know women on a more personal level because his career is first. This is the way of a man with class. (Plus with all of that feminist crap, a nice guy thinks women have their own things going on and wouldn't move with a guy--not even an awesome Christian, slightly Star Trek geek, outdoorsy, jazz-loving, supersmart one like him. I would. Pick me! Pick me!)

A new reality show called Holidate asks the question:

What if the perfect guy for you is in Seattle?


What if? The commercial aired 5 minutes before this published. Maybe it's time for my own Holidate.

I love comments!

20 comments:

Meredith Rachel Munro said...

savvy, wow, talk about a lot of freaky signs /coincidences!! I never know what to make of things like this...I think a lot of time us girls (and guys) ascribe too much meaning and fate into things that are just normal earthy interactions, but at the same time, you hear stories about things like this happening for people and it works out and it's real!
Besides the guy and the random signs, is there anything else leading you to Seattle?

Also, wondering ifyou've seen 500 days of summer yet. You might've mentioned that already in the blog, i don't know, i gotta keep reading first and catch up! :)

SavvyD said...

UW is in Seattle and the scholarship I turned down--so there was always unfinished business with Seattle.

SavvyD said...

Plus, I hear that there are alot of single guys in Seattle and that they are more down to earth than they are here in LA. I hear there is great coffee and great jazz. Rent is better than here in LA, too.

vanover521 said...

hmmmm.....

sounds pretty convincing, actually. it could be signs. it could also just be that it's in your head all the time. either way, i'd say go for it. as long as you have a BACKUP plan in case everything falls apart.

check out that school again. you never know.

Meredith Rachel Munro said...

i believe it!!
on all accounts.
I liked seattle a lot but I think the weather keeps in the "no way" category for me... :(

SavvyD said...

Meredith--I hear you on the weather. I have naturally curly hair that looks like Medusa's nest of vipers in the rain.

vanover--I would say it's all in my head, but it's never been quite like this.


I was sitting at the same cafe today and baseball was on. I looked for a few seconds, and then Seattle flashed across as part of the closed captioning. I turned the TV on for just a sec while typing this and heard Seattle hit 100. It's freaking crazy.

SavvyD said...

Check it out peeps:

Hi there,

I noticed that you mentioned the commercial for HOLIDATE in your blog post and wanted to send over some info about the show – including links to the facebook page and then a ‘Where is the perfect guy for you?’ quiz that can tell you which city the perfect guy for you might be in. Please feel free to check it out and share with your readers.

Thanks so much!

Tamara

Official Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holidate/92787242375

“Where is the Perfect Guy for You?” Quiz
http://apps.facebook.com/whereisthepejoknvm/

Anonymous said...

One problem with Seattle though is that it is a very secular and un-Christian city.

You might find some Christian guys there, but it will not be a large number of them.

BeltainAmerica said...

Savvy just say NO to Seattle. It rains all the time. Its already fired its "cultural Music" bullet. You have to travel out of the county or even state/country to get decent laundry detergent. There are sailors nearby (this is never good J/K). Moose will roam into your yard and well I can't think of anything else. Oh ya there are bears I am sure!!!

You should stay in Cali and become a nun... /nod

SavvyD said...

Oh, Anon! More secular than NYC? I lived there for two years. I already live in LA. Can't get much more secular than that.

It's not so much about Seattle as it is about this particular guy. I should have named him Boeing instead or Stinky/Skunky since he worked for Skunkworks at Lockheed Martin.

SavvyD said...

Anon--I also lived in Columbia, SC for 3 years and though it's allegedly Christian, it could be pretty bad, too.

Welmer said...

I'm in Seattle, and I know the city as well as anyone (only American city I've ever lived in, but I've lived abroad a few times). I've got mixed feelings about Seattle.

The UW is a good school, if you make something of it. Seattle's environment is beautiful, including parks and outlying areas.

However, the people are notoriously difficult to get to know, and the city is full of itself without any justification.

On the other hand, I welcome newcomers who are willing to change this. If you'd like to move here, let me know and I'd be happy to give you a rundown on neighborhoods, entertainment and cultural resources. Seattle is very much a city of distinct neighborhoods, so your choice of abode is quite important.

SavvyD said...

Thanks Welmer. It's more about the guy who is there. You know, that old-fashioned yearning to follow the man whereever. UW is an amazing school. LA is right up there with being full of itself.

Welmer said...

I guess in that case it's a matter of whether he wants you here or not. Might as well simply ask.

SavvyD said...

Well, the story of the last few weeks has been about me barely getting to know him before he left and flat out telling him that it was too bad he was leaving because I would totally go out with him. Rather than it being totally embarrassing, he invited me to his going away party and we did spend time together--in a group. If I go up there, it will be a chance to get to know him more and determine if the crush has any viability. Maybe then I would be able to say something further, as in being willing to move up there if there was a chance at it. He will also be coming down for Thanksgiving to visit family in San Diego.

Heard it was 105! Sweltering.

Welmer said...

It got up to 103. It certainly isn't something we're used to up here. It was an all time record.

Very few of us have AC, so we've been pretty miserable.

So why don't you just tell the guy you'd like to come visit to see if anything could work out? You could spend a few days up here and enjoy yourself either way. Take a boat ride, go to Mt. Rainier, or whatever you'd like.

SavvyD said...

Hey Welmer, you're psychic. ;) I'm going to go up there and check out what I missed with UW and with this guy. It will at least give enough time to see if there is still something worth exploring. I'm sure that has to be in the back of his mind since I discussed UW with him and his sister.

Welmer said...

Well, Savvy, given your idée fixe, I was only suggesting the obvious. Hardly psychic...

Anyway, I hope you like it up here. I'm a 4th gen. native. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the place. Hopefully, I'll be out of this backwater soon - probably back to the Middle Kingdom - but in the meanwhile I'm happy to help out a newcomer.

SavvyD said...

I know, I was teasing. I like your use of literary/musical terms. I'll keep you posted.

SavvyD said...

I know, I was teasing. I like your use of literary/musical terms. I'll keep you posted.

Beltain just wants me to become a nun so he can write a love letter to me that I would have to hang in the common room so the other nuns blush reading it.