...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Getting Hit On--One of the Joys of Being Single

Sometimes it takes me a second to figure it out. I think this is more common today, but even my mom has a few stories of when she was hit on. One time she and my dad were at a party together. She walked into the kitchen for something and a man said, "You're gorgeous. Do you swing?" She said no and then told my dad what just happened. My mom and other marrieds have the advantage here. They can go back to their significant others and have a laugh. It's not that funny when you wonder if there is anyone who cares about you beyond what they can get.

Here are some of my recent hits:

Scene: A reunion held at a bar & grill.
Time: 1:30 am


Savvy: Wow, so you just got back from China.
China: Yes, my company decided to send me, though it was kind of a vacation too.
Savvy: How cool is that?
China: You have beautiful eyes.
Savvy: Thanks.
China: So, is this some kind of a reunion or something? All I know is that you guys look really young.
Savvy: Well, it's a combination of several years from two high schools. So you aren't with our group at all?
China: No, I know the new owners.
Savvy: Oh, how cool.
China: Are you single?
Savvy: Yes.
China: What are you doing later?
Savvy: Later? It's pretty late.
China: I've had alot to drink and I'm planning on staying at a hotel next door. Would you like to stay with me?
Savvy: Um... (blink, blink, stare)
China: Did I say something wrong?
Savvy: Well, I'm really flattered, but I've never done that before and I'm not about to start. I'm looking for someone who cares about my heart and brain, not just a fling.
China: Wow, I like that. You're a great girl.


He even started talking about marriage. I went out with him another day, but we were clearly not a match. In the back of my mind I was thinking that I would have to tell friends that he asked me to go back to his hotel room when I barely knew him. I also had a little fun by talking about marriage and relationships just to make sure he didn't want to go out with me again. I wanted him to feel a bit like the jerk he was for talking to me that way. At least I got a nice dinner and some tasty beer out of it.

Getting hit on is not just a late night thing...

Scene: State beach with bonfires. Savvy arrives after a long search for parking and her group. There are hugs and kisses all around as this is a European group. Savvy and Dutch walk back to her car.
Time: 5:36 pm

Dutch: Do you need help getting anything from your car?
Savvy: Well, I don't have very much, but I would like company to go back to the car.
Dutch: I'll keep you company then.
Savvy: Awesome. How nice of you. I knew there was something I liked about you.
Dutch: You mean beyond being a Dutch guy who works for ING Direct?
Savvy: Yes, and how unexpected. Maybe I like you because you are tall.
Dutch: And I like forward women. (He took my hand.)
Savvy: Umm, wait. I don't think this is going where you think it's going. I'm actually very innocent. I'm looking for a relationship with someone who cares about me. Not just a hookup.
Dutch: I'm just looking for hookups right now. You do right by being honest about what you are looking for. (I dropped his hand.)
Savvy: I would rather be like everyone's little sister... Why do you think that guys are like that?
Dutch: Someone else asked me the same thing. Maybe it's because a man is supposed to sew his wild oats with many women to spread the species.
Savvy: Makes sense if he's the alpha for a herd. But in general, that's a terrible example. Humans are not animals. We are supposed to have morals and a conscience--something which animals do not need. It doesn't make sense for women at all because women will sleep with alot of men rather than just the best ones.
Dutch: Maybe you're right. I just didn't really think about it. Maybe it's just ego, then.
Savvy: I think it's partly because men used to know who the good girls were and who the bad ones were and they treated them accordingly. Now we are all expected to be whores. Well, I'm not.
Dutch: You do things the way girls should. Hey, do you have an extra blanket or a towel or something? I don't have enough clothes.


Winner. He hit on me and then wanted to get at my stuff. What really kills? He is not nearly as good looking as his ego tells him.

I'm not the only one who gets hit on. Here's a fun website where ladies and gentlemen swap stories about getting hit on.

I Hit On You


1 comment:

SavvyD said...

Get it?? The guy is getting "picked up"? ehehehe. I'm gonna go nuts. I miss Seattle. I wish there were a plan here.