...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Don't Care About Valentine's Day

I really don't care. I swear I don't. My best Valentine's Day was with a boyfriend I had in college. I was so excited because it was my first valentine's day with a boyfriend. I've hardly ever had a boyfriend for Valentine's Day and when I did after that I remember it being a disappointment. I was hoping that this year I would have a special Valentine, but that went bust about 2 weeks ago. Last year I hoped to have a special Valentine, but we broke up in January. I met someone right after Valentine's Day and pretended like it was Valentine's Day when we went out. Then he broke my heart. Then Tall broke my heart. I'm tired of having my heart broken. I'm tired of trying. I'm tired of not trying. I'm tired of being overlooked. I'm tired of being lonely.

I'm tired of people's lame advice starting with things like:
1. It'll happen when you least expect it.
2. Maybe you're being too picky.
3. He's just not that into you.
4. The Lord is sufficient for you.
5. Find a nice guy at church. (My recent favorite. Thanks Quirky!!)
6. Maybe you should move to ____________ (pick one: the Midwest, Alaska, etc.)
7. Maybe you shouldn't kiss them on the first date.
8. Maybe you should have sex.
9. Maybe you should lose weight.
10. Maybe you should f off--oh wait that's me with my bad attitude again.

I feel sad for the people who are rushing around trying to figure out what they will do with themselves. I feel sad for Swing who rushed to make plans to attend a gaming convention with a bunch of single geeks who have nothing better to do. I feel sad for my new friend Quirky who also felt the need to make plans to go hiking with a bunch of people who also don't have plans for Valentine's Day. Some people are actually going on an anonymous date. I think I might actually be working. I agreed to go to a party, but I might rather work.


5 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey Savvy
I thought "stuff it", and bought a ticket to a great funk singer who was playing in my town. A married couple I know were also going, and we met up there and had a great time. The only time V day crossed my mind was when the girl in the newsagent's asked how my V day was going, "or aren't you into it?" I said I wouldn't turn a few dozen red roses away, but it had been a quiet day.

Yay me! I used to worry about V Day, but I just did something I wanted to do and had a ball.

Hope your weekend has been good. I've just started reading your blog. Enjoying it, and with you in all the ups and downs. I'm sick of trying/not trying/not knowing as well.

Shalom

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I get about half those suggestions as well. I also get (and I'm sure you do too) comments like, 'oh, I'm sure he's a real nice guy' - translation.. so what if he's missing a leg, slovenly dressed, shorter than me, etc..he a 'really nice guy', you know, like I'm desperate or something. Yes, I've had my share (more than my share, I think) of guys who were emotionally crippled. So, maybe I should choose a guy with a more outward physical difference instead, but honestly, is it too much to ask that he be neither emotionally or physically handicapped? Why does it have to be one or the other? It's like the other conundrum I face; lousy relationship and great sex or great relationship and lousy sex? Why can't I have both? If you know the answer, let me know.

Matthew W. said...

I can definitely understand where you are coming from here. I used to feel the same way. Good blog!

Tairebabs said...

Hey Savvy, I spent my Valentines day at home cos my bf is in another continent (Can it get any worse???). I am also sick of hearing all that kind of advise....there is also "Maybe you should start seeing someone else"....I get that all the time. lol.

SavvyD said...

OUCH! But at least you know where he is, he's on another continent. Meanwhile I have no idea where mine is or if he even misses me!!