...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Adventures in Liberal Theology

We all want to feel important, especially to God. As a young lady who had recently become Christian, I was thrilled to learn that I was a co-heir. That to Christ, my soul was as valuable a man's. This struggle of value is great in the human soul. This stuggle for significance is part of the gay, lesbian and transgendered soul.

Here is the original scripture.

Galatians 3:27-29 (NASB)
26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.


The words of the Reverend Mother came as a thundering SLAP.
And I believe that if this were written today, the author would add that there is neither gay nor straight.

As I sat in church, I struggled. I love people. I have gay friends. But I don't agree. Don't twitch. Don't move. Don't express. Don't say anything. For someone who was formerly known as outspoken, I was silent in shock. I repeated my mantra.

Liberaland Survival Tactic #1
Thou shalt shut thy mouth when one even suspects one might be around liberals.


In the stuggle for value and importance, do some twist the scriptures to prove their point? Of course they do!

I have made a commitment to this church and they depend on me. People are blessed and uplifted by my singing in the choir. I am deeply saddened. I have to get out of this church and I don't know how. Perhaps it will be easier after the holidays. I don't want them to be onto me for not agreeing. I want to leave with a solid recommendation.

12 comments:

Dawnie said...

my first thought and forgive me if i offend you...BUT...any statement that starts with and I BELIEVE that if it were written today it would state this or that--is to me--WRONG. If god felt the scriptures would not apply to this time of existance--he would have done something for us..apparently he feels his word is the same for us as it was them...its us human who continue to try and conform what WE want not what he wanted.

SavvyD said...

I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I decided to write about it. This is the whole angle I wrote from. I certainly wasn't the one saying that.

L.C.T. said...

I agree with dawnie. The Bible transcends time, it's just about taking the principles it teaches and applying it to our time, not trying to fill in blanks! I went to a church in South Africa while I was on holiday where there was a great sermon which ended with "and it's not a sin to be gay". I'm not saying at all that someone who is gay is ANY worse a sinner than I am. I am saying biblically, it's wrong (no more wrong than my own sins, but wrong nonetheless). Hope you find a good new Church soon!

Dawnie said...

oh i know...that was one of my pet peeves when i was younger to. being older now when someone starts off like that--they have 100% lost my attention, in fact i would leave.

I agree also we are all messes without the grace of God...but sometimes I also feel to many times we use that has our excuse to do wrong...does that make sense? I know when I was living in the depth of my dark side--i sure did. On my way to doing things I knew were wrong,,I would justify by saying--God will forgive me--i know he will. then i would just do what i wanted. to me looking back-its so wrong. I mean if we are truly committed..we will NOT use him that way. As i get older I find myself actually fearing him and his power and that is helping me stay in line. Plus I do want to please him and be an example and do what is right in his eyes, not mine. Its kinda like the love we have for our children or spouses or others--we want to please them--not hurt them.

Anonymous said...

umm.. ok, but the only thing is that if you believe homosexuality is a sin, which it appears you do, that still makes that sentence ok. god loves sinners; whether they're murderers, have alcohol problems, are promiscuous, or are gay or lesbian. i understand why you're kind of wierded out by this church, but still... i agree with that woman. god loves the gays and lesbians as much as all the rest of us.

ps... your first warning should have been that the church pays to have people sing in its choir. wtf?!

SavvyD said...

Anon, many churches bring in professional singers. Liturgical churches have difficult music. Having professional singers means less rehearsal time because they can sight sing the music without it having to be taught to them. I've been singing in churches for over 8 years.

SavvyD said...

YES, GOD LOVES SINNERS. But he does not want us to celebrate our sins. Or stay in them.

Dawnie said...

haha savvy, your spoke my mind! I was thinking, this isnt about who god loves or dosnt..everyone should know that god loves all of us..but your very right--he dosnt love the sin we do and just because he loves us dosnt mean that gives us an excuse to bask in our sin. it really is simple--when you love someone you want to please them, why should our relationship with our Creator be any different than with those humans that we love.

Anonymous said...

i agree with all of you, i just think with homosexuality, people focus soooooo much on the sin. what if the pastor had said 'and god loves theives and adulterers and overeaters and gossipers, too, just as much!"

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad God loves theives. I can't stop shoplifting. I want to, but I can't. What if I went to church and told me that God made me this way? I know it's wrong.

Kyle said...

"Liberaland Survival Tactic #1
Thou shalt shut thy mouth when one even suspects one might be around liberals."

Funny, this is exactly the survival tactic that I (not really a liberal theologically, but accused of being one by many conservatives) use whenever I go to Conservativeland.

Anonymous said...

You asked in the NNTP group:

>this is right or wrong? Drop by and express yourself.
>
>www.SavvySingleChristian.blogspot.com
>
>PS I am straight and find myself not agreeing.

I am glad that you disagree with them. After all, Paul was crystal clear:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
(1Co 6:9-10 RSVA)

It is only some translations, whose editors/publishers have caved in to pressure from the "politically correct" that make this obscure, insisting on some mistranslation of "sexual perverts" (Grk: MALAKOI OUTE ASENOKOITAI).

The politically correct are really dangerous corrupters, just as Paul described only a little later in the same letter:

Evil company corrupts good ways (1 Cor 15:33).

In some countries, people who set up such 'liberal churches' are not allowed to call them 'churches'. That is the way it should be.