...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Scent of a Man

Neil Simon's play, Star-Spangled Girl uses the idea that attraction based on personal scent can overcome great differences in personality. But is there truth to it? Scientists say yes, but so does SavvyD!!

Remember Astro? He really did smell like goat to me. Maybe if he had smelled a little better, things would have gone differently. I have never wanted to cuddle up to a goat.

I can still recall how two of my boyfriends had really attractive natural scents--even when they had BO, it smelled good to me. I always hope that I will repeat that experience rather than be stuck with a man who smells like goat.

I heard from a counsellor that she often hears that women do not enjoy their husbands natural odor. They end up not wanting to be intimate with them because of it. That's honestly something that no amount of counselling can change--not even showering can really change it because ones natural body odor always begin to seep through.

One problem it seems many women encounter is that taking birth control alters their body chemistry and also their sense of smell. Once off the pill, some women have found themselves disgusted by a man's scent.

I find it odd and amusing because I have been on dates and met men who told me You smell really good. I wasn't wearing anything special. I still laugh to myself when I think of one of my annoying bosses who asked, What is that absolutely exquisite perfume you're wearing? I should have made something up. But the truth was much funnier. Eau de Savvy, I haven't showered in 3 days. Why? It was the dead of New York winter, when I showered it felt like my skin was so dry it would crack. It was so cold I don't remember actually sweating. All I had to do was wash up a little and I was good to go. He wrinkled his nose, Oh. And then got back to work.

Oh, sure, there are other factors to consider in terms of making an actual relationship actually work. And I think Sophie and Andy from the Star-Spangled Girl are actually doomed. She declares, There is no earthly reason why I should be attracted to you. They have profoundly different personal philosophies. It doesn't make sense. But he sure does smell good!


---------------------

The Science of Sex: Does the Nose Know?
http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22081/42913-science-sex--nose-know-

Smell and Attraction. Are there human pheremones?
http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/UBNRP/Smell/attraction.html

Male pheromones and sexual attraction
http://www.nel.edu/23_4/NEL230402R03_Thorne.htm


5 comments:

Amir Larijani said...

I don't know why women complain about my B.O.? I mean crap...I take a shower once every three months whether I need it or not! ;)

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

It should be just a jar of Brad Pitt sweat.

Curiepoint said...

I have to agree that there is something to the pheromone idea. I am a short, pudgy, and reasonably ugly man, a science geek right down to my pocket protector, and there have been times when I have worn a certain scent and I would note an increase in feminine attention. All the while, I am thinking "WTH??? This never happens, ever!"

To think that I once believed this to be nothing more than clever marketing and at best junk science.

It seems an unfair advantage to me, so I stopped wearing scent. I just stay clean so I don't stink, and let my ugliness and irritating personality speak for me.

SavvyD said...

Well, curie, I say Work what your mama gave you, if not go out and get it. You obviously need that "unfair" advantage, so USE it so you can find someone if that's what you want, or you can keep saying how alone you are.

Amir Larijani said...

Go Curiepoint!

B.O. scares 'em off every time. Even in Kentucky! W00t!

Trouble is, it doesn't scare off the gals I want to scare off, and fails to attract the ones I want to attract.

Tradeoffs...tradeoffs ;)