...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Secret and Christianity

Wherever I turn, it seems like someone is talking about The Secret. Just yesterday a lady I met sailing told me I should get it. What is it? Should Christians be reading it or watching the movie? I decided to look into it myself and see if it there is anything to it.

The author asserts that the Secret has been hidden and suppressed throughout the ages. But the Secret seems to be everywhere. The Bible mentions things that sounds vaguely like the Secret.

Ephesians 4:22-24
22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Ephesians 5:19:
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord.


Aren't these things focused on right and pure thinking as the basis for fellowship? The Bible teaches us to be grateful and thankful to the Lord. Isn't this the foundation of the The Secret?

The Secret lends itself to the "name it and claim it" idea of the Gospel without Jesus. These scriptures are quoted in the book.

Matthew 21:22:
If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

Mark 11:24

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Some things make sense. If you constantly think you will never be happy, it should come as no surprise that you are never happy. If you are grateful for your life and everything in it people will want to be around you. People like happy people. I know I do!

However, the Secret is also cruel.
--The law of attraction is a law of nature. It is as impartial as the law of gravity.
--Nothing can come into your experience unless you summon it through persistent thoughts.

The philosophy of it goes like this:
I attracted my car accident. It's a common occurence that I was concerned about. I didn't want to get whiplash just as I was ending treatment for my neck/head injury from last year--and it occurred just as I was assuming the title to the car. How unserendipitous! It led to me being sick for a month and losing a relationship I valued.

Jeepers! It makes me wonder if it's true!! But with that thinking, they would even add that I somehow attracted all the misadventures of Bass--but how could I have imagined that anyone would do the things that he did? I don't think he even imagined that he could do anything so cruel. I somehow attracted myself to the same place that I have been with Bass on my date with Astro?

But how can one say that a child summons a parent beating them through persistent thoughts? The explanation for mass atrocities and genocides were that the people were somehow resonating in a way that attracted them to that event. Something about that is inherently evil.

It is against Christian theology to believe in one's own divinity. Rather, we are to be humble.
Galatians 6:3

If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

The Secret definitely goes against the Christian grain.
You are God in a physical body. You are Spirit in the flesh. You are eternal life expressing itself as You. You are cosmic being. You are all power. You are magnificence. You are the creator, and you are creating the creation of You on this planet. p164

Overall, it's an interesting concept. Some things are even worth practicing. There is certainly nothing wrong with gratitude or with focusing on what you want to acheieve in your life. What I have seen of the film is very entertaining and dramatic. It's worth watching. But like with a little mold growth on cheese, you have to cut out what you can't swallow.

---------------------------
Links:

http://www.youtube.com You can watch the first 20 minutes of the film for free.

http://www.thesecret.tv You can watch the film online for just $4.95

http://www.thelawofattractionforchristians.com

The Secret, The Bible and The Answer

No comments: