...........................................................................

Thanks for stopping by! Always click "Read More!" for the full story!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Love is...Being a Friend


It takes a friend to make a friend. I decided to honor a commitment I had made even though I didn't feel like it. I wasn't performing with my dance troupe, so I helped out backstage.

I'm human. I arrived an hour late, but no one seemed to notice. After last night's adventure/misadventure chronicled in Love Is Just Like High School, I was wiped out emotionally. Not only that, I was wiped out physically. I fell down the stairs on the way out the door last night. Something about the cute shoes always does me in. (Sprained Ankle Adventures) I somehow managed to roll and saved myself from breaking anything.

Honoring a commitment is something friends do; real friends. It builds trust and confidence in you as person. Most of the time I hate it when I don't get to perform, but this time it was different. I was OK with it. I helped with costume changes. I helped sew things (I HATE sewing), pin costumes into place, bobby pinned hair pieces, put hair pieces away, I reminded them of how much time was left and made sure people had the right costumes on. I encouraged and evaluated performances.

Honoring a commitment makes people feel special. It can repair trust after it has been breached. One of my friends started opening up about her dance troupe dreams again. We hadn't talked that way since the wedding where her family accused me of hitting on one of the groomsmen. Misunderstandings and Dirty Old Men

My friends were all thanking me at the end of the night for all my help. Some held my hand and said they couldn't have done the performance without me. In turn, honoring my commitment to them made me feel special too.


3 comments:

exchurchmouse said...

A bit about shoes: I like to wear Aerosoles heels. I feel as if my feet are stable and Aerosoles are affordable and cute.

I have so many shoes, my ex boyfriend once joked to my girl friend,"Just grab a pair of Emily's shoes before you go."

D said...

Those cute aqua shoes from Sprained Ankle Adventures ARE aerosoles!!! WOW! But that's a different story. These were gold. I just stepped in the wrong place.

exchurchmouse said...

Well, I almost fell because my Aerosoles booty heels have started to become grinded down from walking on the concrete in Chicago.

Grrr. Heels are hard to maintain in the concrete jungle.